Yesterday I told you how I came up with the decision to use a toaster oven to melt the crayons. Today I’ll show you some of the results. I’ll tell you now I’m not super happy with the end product but that means I just have more practice to do before I actually start the art itself.
This is the first thing I tried – just little drops of red wax on the paper.
This is the first mock-up of what my plan is – which is to take a photo (or collage of photos – magazine photos), match it with the same color crayon and go from there. In this case I had a black and white photo and poured red and then purple crayon around it. There’s also a puddle of marbleized crayon that I’ll show close up tomorrow.
This is the second mock-up with the crayon matching the main color in the picture – sort of aquamarine blue. I liked it okay. But then I realized if I bent the paper the wax would flake off. So I took all the wax of and what did I find?
The oily residue of the color – brighter than the melted crayon and I liked it!
So I melted the chips again and poured them on top.
More bang for the buck and I get to use the crayons more than once! (By the way, this is a glitter crayon, in case you were wondering about the sparkle.)
The final result of this day – I dribbled some wax drops on the picture itself – to mimic the rock in the water – but I didn’t peel this wax off (I did that on the earlier mock-up to yucky results). I really like the effect of pouring the wax, then removing it to leave the true essence of the color underneath. Now the next step is to improve my pouring technique!
Click on the badge below to find out how to join the challenge!!