Cans, cans and more cans!

img_7042Whatever could this be??

It’s the first 45 washed and drying cans for the potentially 120+ I will need for my melted crayon art project!! I’ve already got two cuts on my fingers from the cans – it’s a good thing my tetanus shot is up-to-date! I really need the “Ove-Glove!”

download

I am in the prepping stage of the project. I’ve found all my colors; solidified my vision and process; and am now finishing the prep work. I post later this week about the prep work I’m doing. This weekend my plan is do the first 5 colors; but we’ll see how it goes. I hoped to have all 120 finished before the challenge started January 1st but as it is almost December, I doubt I’ll fulfill that plan. So Plan B is to stay at least one month ahead, preferably 2 months as I’ve got the A to Z challenge in April to prep for as well!!! 

38486620

download-1

Click on the badge below to find out how to join in on the fun! You don’t have to be and overachiever like me! Just join in when you can!!! It’s all about the fun!

Melted Crayons, part 3

Yesterday I showed the results of my melting crayons and what my general plan for the 120 Days of Color/Crayola challenge coming up in January 2017. Today, I have some cool art accidents with marbleized crayons!

marble-b red, yellow and blue crayons mixed

marble-cMarble over solid red. I’m liking this effect a lot!

 

marble-a This one is really cool with the orange and green mixed in – I didn’t stir the crayons together – they just mixed themselves as I poured.

marble-e But now with the wax removed – the colors are amazing!

marble-f I learned to be extra careful when removing crayon – it can get rather messy. Cool, but messy.

marble-g Yep, I really like this.

marble-dThis is that same puddle of orange and green from above – so cool!!! I can see having fun with marbling crayons in my future!!!!

 

cyw-2017-badge

Color your World – 120 Days of Crayola 2017 (year 2)

Melted Crayons, part 2

Yesterday I told you how I came up with the decision to use a toaster oven to melt the crayons. Today I’ll show you some of the results. I’ll tell you now I’m not super happy with the end product but that means I just have more practice to do before I actually start the art itself.

melting-f This is the first thing I tried – just little drops of red wax on the paper.

melting-e This is the first mock-up of what my plan is – which is to take a photo (or collage of photos – magazine photos), match it with the same color crayon and go from there. In this case I had a black and white photo and poured red and then purple crayon around it. There’s also a puddle of marbleized crayon that I’ll show close up tomorrow.

result-a This is the second mock-up with the crayon matching the main color in the picture – sort of aquamarine blue. I liked it okay. But then I realized if I bent the paper the wax would flake off. So I took all the wax of and what did I find?

result-b The oily residue of the color – brighter than the melted crayon and I liked it!

result-c So I melted the chips again and poured them on top.

result-dMore bang for the buck and I get to use the crayons more than once! (By the way, this is a glitter crayon, in case you were wondering about the sparkle.)

result-f The final result of this day – I dribbled some wax drops on the picture itself – to mimic the rock in the water – but I didn’t peel this wax off (I did that on the earlier mock-up to yucky results). I really like the effect of pouring the wax, then removing it to leave the true essence of the color underneath. Now the next step is to improve my pouring technique!

 

Click on the badge below to find out how to join the challenge!!

Projects: update and new

Now that the Halloween Project is done and in the can, as movie people say, and the Weekly Weather Project is done as well, it’s time to move on to something new. But first a quick update on an old project.

Remember all those crazy letter collages for A to Z 2017 I worked so diligently on over the summer? Well they are all complete – 99% anyway. All the 3D items have been adhered and they just need to be sealed. Right now the giant stack of collages, are wrapped in a protective towel to prevent dust, sunlight and kitty claws from getting to them, resting. I won’t look at them again until sometime around February when I seal them, after I’m sure they’re finished. Sorry. No photos until then – I will give some sneak peeks!!!

Now, the next big project is JNW’s 120 Days of Color. This is an even bigger project than any I have done for her challenges before – 120 separate pieces of art representing the 120 colors of Crayola crayons! Its taken me months to figure out what I want to do. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of what I am going to do – at least not yet. I do have a photo of what I was originally thinking about doing.

005-2 I bought this little machine years ago and have never used it. So in my head I was thinking I would use it to melt crayons and do something abstract with the melted crayon. But then when I messed with it on Sunday I realized there are all sorts of safety mechanisms built into it to protect the target audience (kids) and there’s no way to get to the melted crayon without tearing it apart. Too much trouble. So it’s off to the thrift store to find a couple of throw away pans to melt crayons with!!

As soon as I solidify my idea and process, you can bet I’ll be posting about it! In the meantime, click on the badge below to find out more info about the challenge and maybe join in. I will tell you 120 days is hard to do, but maybe you can join in every once in a while!

009-2 Here’s my official unpacker, Toby. If there’s a box any where within earshot, he’s there helping me unpack!

013 He was definitely more interested in the box that the machine!